(Update – 27 March) – Thank you to everyone who have shared the word, contributed to the collage or are doing your part to spread the word and show support for the people in Myanmar.
We have created a collage based on submissions from our readers. Please do share this video collage with those around you.
THIS CHAPTER: A IN SOLIDARITY CALL TO ALL PEOPLE IN SINGAPORE
We are trying to get MANY, MANY people in Singapore to show their support for the people in Myanmar.
These are the details:
- February 1st the military (Tatmadaw) in a coup d’état took over rule from an elected government, disregarding the results, the positive comments made by international elections observers or the work done by the Committee Representing the Pyidaungsu Hluttaw (CRPH)
- They arrested many elected political leaders, including State Counsellor Daw Aung San Suu Kyi
- Millions of Myanmarese protested, many stopped work to join the civil disobedience movement (CDM) to fight for their democracy, freedom and justice. Many young and older persons have said that they are ready to die for their country and freedom.
- To date (March 21st) 235 people have been killed, mainly from shots to their heads. Many more injured. More than 2,330 people have been arrested. Myanmar is under martial law set by the military
- The military is relentless in targeting people, communities, killings, destroying the CDM’s barricades in the many cities around the country and in forcing threatening people to be their human shields in the work against protesters.
- Some countries have stated they are not recognising the Tatmadaw as the government of Myanmar. Some have imposed sanctions. United Nations has issued statements. So has ASEAN. Some ASEAN member countries have issued stronger statements on this situation. But thoughtful and concerted action remains limited.
- Some Links given below give a clearer picture of the situation.
What we are asking from you:
A call has been made to people in ASEAN to show solidarity with the people in Myanmar.
As people living in Singapore, we hope you will believe in supporting the people in Myanmar. If so, please do this:
- take a photo of yourself, holding up the 3-finger salute that Myanmarese are using.
- Do not make the photo larger than 1megabytes
- Please send it to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject – In Solidarity with Myanmar (Photo collage)
- Please indicate a name in English, if you like, otherwise, the subtitled image will be left anonymous.
- MARUAH Singapore reserves the right to reject images that are offensive and prejudicial to the intent and spirit of this request.
- Please submit your photos by Thursday 25th March by 10.00 pm.
- Sample image (taken from the Internet)
The collage will be created with some of the following statements:
From Singapore: IN SOLIDARITY With The People In Myanmar
# AGAINST the Coup d’état and Military takeover in Myanmar
# AGAINST the escalating armed violence by the military
# AGAINST people being killed and injured
#AGAINST Imprisonment, Tortures, Deaths of political leaders, activists, journalists, protesters
# AGAINST THE LACK OF ACTION by International, Regional communities
# FOR Democracy
# FOR Rule of Law
# FOR Humanitarian Aid for the injured and food for the people
# FOR China and Russia to not veto and join the UN Security Council to denounce the military takeover and support action against the military for the coup and the violence
# FOR Targeted Economic Sanctions, Global Travel Bans and Asset Freezes by Governments, Banks and the Private Sector when it comes to military personnel, military-owned companies within the Myanmar Economic Holdings Public Companies and Myanmar Economic Corporation
# FOR a global arms embargo to block supplies and sales of weaponry to the military and other armed groups
MARUAH is coordinating this In Solidarity action. About MARUAH: https://maruah.org/about/