24 December 2020
We, the undersigned organisations, strongly condemn the killing of elections monitor and democracy advocate Mohammad Yousuf Rasheed in Afghanistan and urge the authorities to bring those responsible to justice.
On the morning of 23 December 2020, Rasheed, executive director of the Free and Fair Election Forum of Afghanistan (FEFA), was shot by unknown gunmen in Kabul when he was traveling to his office. He later died from injuries in the hospital.
The killing and ongoing threats of violence aim at creating fear and intimidation among those promoting peace and democracy in Afghanistan. In recent months, targeted killings and threatening of prominent figures, including civil society activists, journalists and politicians have been increasing disturbingly. The United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA) recorded 934 civilian casualties caused by targeted killings from January to September 2020, a 39 per cent increase compared to the same period last year.
We condemn this heinous crime and stand by the people of Afghanistan in support of their aspirations for sustainable peace and democracy. It is essential for the Government of Afghanistan to conduct fair and impartial investigations into these cases and end the impunity of those responsible for the attacks.
- Asia Democracy Network (ADN)
- Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL)
- Center for Monitoring and Research (CeMI)
- Centre for Monitoring Election Violence (CMEV), Sri Lanka
- Centre for Policy Alternatives (CPA), Sri Lanka
- Citizen Congress Watch (CCW), Taiwan
- Civil Network OPORA, Ukraine
- Coalition for Clean and Fair Elections (Bersih 2.0), Malaysia
- Committee for Free and Fair Election (COMFREL), Cambodia
- European Network of Election Monitoring Organizations (ENEMO)
- Free and Fair Election Network (FAFEN), Pakistan
- Global Network of Domestic Election Monitors (GNDEM)
- Jaringan Pendidikan Pemilih Untuk Rakyat (JPPR), Indonesia
- Komite Independen Pemantau Pemilu (KIPP), Indonesia
- MARUAH, Singapore
- National Democratic Institute (NDI)
- National Election Observation Committee (NEOC), Nepal
- Nepal Law Society, Nepal
- Neutral & Impartial Committee for Free & Fair Elections in Cambodia (NICFEC), Cambodia
- Odhikar, Bangladesh
- People Network for Elections in Thailand (P-NET), Thailand
- People’s Alliance for Credible Elections (PACE), Myanmar
- People’s Action for Free and Fair Elections (PAFFREL), Sri Lanka
- Perkumpulan untuk Pemilu dan Demokrasi (PERLUDEM), Indonesia
- Transparency Maldives (TI Maldives), Maldives
- Transparent Elections Foundation of Afghanistan (TEFA), Afghanistan
- Women Caucus for Politics, Timor-Leste
Last update: 28 December 2020 (11.30am UTC+7)