We are a Singapore human rights NGO.
MARUAH means Dignity in Malay, Singapore’s national language. Human rights is all about maintaining, restoring and reclaiming one’s dignity at the individual, regional and international level.
We seek to
- promote and raise awareness, knowledge and understanding of human rights and human rights and related issues at the national, regional and international levels, in Singapore, ASEAN and elsewhere
- provide a civil society perspective on human rights and related issues at the national, regional and international levels
- advocate for and work towards the respect for and upholding of human rights in accordance with international and other norms
- foster national, regional and international co-ordination and development of all activities in relation to human rights and related issues
- facilitate the education, participation and engagement of persons, groups and organisations in Singapore with respect to human rights and related issues
MARUAH is also the Singapore focal point for the Working Group for an ASEAN Human Rights Mechanism. The Working Group has national representatives from all of the founding Member States of ASEAN, namely Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore and Thailand. The Working Group is an NGO officially recognised in the ASEAN Charter as a stakeholder in ASEAN.
MARUAH’s constitution can be downloaded here.
| The committee |